Thursday, June 16, 2016

Sundown Marathon 2016 review

Racekit collection:

REPC for oversea runners was set on the event date (3pm til 1am). I arrived at F1 pit building around 3.20pm and really shocked with the long Q. Really frustated with this as I was still tired travelling from JB and just arrived at my hotel and straight away walking to collect my racepack. Only managed to get my racepack after 1.5 hours standing under the scorching hot sun. I was lucky as most of us took more than 2 hours waiting for their turn to collect. This was my worst experience with REPC and really dissapointed with the way organizer handling and treating us overseas runners. Wasted our time and energy where we supposed to have a good rest/sleep for our night run.

Flag off time:

Flag off time for FM was scheduled at 12.30 am with several waves. Another dissapointment here where organizer didn't inform us about flag off with different waves at the first place. It tooks me another 1 hour to enter the start pen and our wave flag off time was 30 mins after gun time. Wasted another time and energy for this unnecessary thing. I could understand the organizer's decision by flagging off runners with different waves to avoid congestion with lots of narrow roads/paths. However, they should have informed runners at the first place and waves should be set by expected completed time instead of first come first serve basis. My marathon strategy ruined since the beginning of the race where i was unable to run as early as 8km mark as so many walkers blocking roads and being trapped at several narrow routes.

Route:

Should be named park marathon instead. I was expecting a nice route for us to enjoy beautiful Sg at night and what we got was a boring 30km park run. Wtf running in park at night for hours are not fun at all. Narrow-boring-hard surface tarmac make my run so mentally broken. As i started quite late, i was stucked several times where i could not even run due to congested-narrow/bottle neck route.

GPS track from my Soleus GPS 1.0 watch

Water station:
27k runners for all category registered for sundown marathon where organizer expected 60k runners to register for this. Sad that the water stations for sundown marathon was not ready to accommodate even 10k runners. Missed a few WS due to packed, crowded and if i not mistaken only 2/3 tables provided for each WS. I finally decided to stop at water station and then I realized that I already wasted 2 minutes queuing for a cup of 100 plus.

Volunteer: kudos to them. keep cheering runners and they did a great job

Finisher Medal:



1 comment: